Rancho Cielo is a comprehensive learning and social services center for underserved youth in Monterey County. Established in 2000, we are a California 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Residing on 100 acres and encompassing two lakes, stables and a cultivated garden, Rancho Cielo is also a restored piece of Salinas Valley natural history.
Through our comprehensive programming, we provide educational opportunities to students who could not achieve their academic goals in a traditional school setting. We also provide support services, vocational training and job placement services. Our extensive grounds provide rich opportunities for recreation and outdoor activities.
Current Career Opportunities
This position is responsible for assisting the Academy Director with culinary training, kitchen management and operation of dining room facility.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives supervision from Rancho Cielo’s Academy Director.
Exercises supervision over program participants.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES - Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Deliver culinary instruction for at risk students using standardized curriculum.
- Establish and maintain positive relationship with program participants.
- Maintain high standard of expectations from program participants and services delivered by culinary program.
- Plan, coordinate and oversee kitchen operation under guidance of program director.
- Produce quality of food according to safety and quality standards.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Assist Director with inventory control.
- Provide real life learning opportunities for youth enrolled in the program.
- Represent the Academy professionally, on and off campus.
- Execute Friday night dinner and supervise students under guidance of director
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Training in culinary arts and food management.
- Knowledge of the quality food service industry.
- Knowledge of culinary equipment, facility needs, menu planning, and food and kitchen sanitation.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diversity, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and risk factors of at risk youth in the Monterey County area.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, mentor and lead students.
- Direct, and coordinate the work of students
- Make sound independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
Training and experience:
Any combination of training and experience which would provide the required knowledge and abilities:
- Associate degree and six years of experience.
- At least 6 years of experience working in the hospitality industry and food management.
- Bilingual – Spanish/English preferred.
Physical Demands: physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. Employee frequently is required to stand. Employee is frequently required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment: work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- With the exception of travel time, the work environments are indoors in a typical kitchen/restaurant environment.
Compensation and budget limitations
This position is part time and has a limited budget. Average daily/weekly hours allowed are 8.0/25.0. Hourly rate of pay is $22. Hours will be submitted bi-weekly by invoice, and approved by Academy Director.